Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Murder in LA

Last night I watched two mockeries of hardboiled LA crime films. Unfortunately for the makers of The Black Dahlia, they hadn’t intended to make a joke.


















The Black Dahlia was the single worst written, most confusing, least moving film I have seen in quite a while. They managed to make me lose interest in what is arguably the most famous unsolved murder in America. The costuming was lovely, and some of the acting was fine. But it was so poorly held together that I couldn’t even understand what was happening or why. I wonder if Scarlett Johansson and Josh Hartnett actually read the script before they accepted the roles.

No monkeys out of five possible monkeys for wasting over two hours of my life.





















The other movie I watched last night was Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, a refreshing comedy about unlikely heroes solving unlikely crimes. I really liked it, I even laughed aloud. Val Kilmer did an amazing job as Gay Perry, a LA private dick. Robert Downey Jr. was excellent as a bumbling robber turned wannabe actor turned bumbling wannabe detective.

Five monkeys for accomplishing exactly what the movie was intended to do, make me laugh.

No comments: