Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Stupid name, good movie.
























Chouski and I caught Apocalypto at the Crest Friday and it was very good. I will warn you that it is more than a bit gory, but the gore is not out of proportion with the movie's story and themes. It was visually interesting, very well acted, well directed, and well written. The characters were very well developed. So I actually cared for the characters and actually felt the feelings Gibson was trying to evoke. The movie was sad, funny, and scary- there was a fair bit of covering my eyes and squeaking. The foreshadowing was a bit obvious, but I don't need to be surprised to enjoy a movie.

For those of you who heard about it, but don't know what it is about: It is the story of a villager living in the forests on the outskirts of the Mayan Empire just prior to its fall. The Mayans are in decline and decide that the best way to deal with the draught and famine is capturing warriors, like the main character, and ripping out their still beating hearts as a sacrifice to their scary scary gods. The bulk of the tale is about the main character's attempts to avoid his fate and rescue his family from the impending ruin.


Five out of five possible monkeys.




Zero monkeys for the woman behind me in the theater who thought that just because it was a cheap theater, she didn't have to be polite in the movie. Even my glares would not silence her moronic cries of "I KNEW that was going to happen." I saw The Sixth Sense with a guy who did that. It took top surgeons 12 hours to sew his nuts back on.

No comments: