Monday, March 05, 2007

Annyong?

Sorry, I've been swamped at work and busy with my job hunt and another creative endeavors.

I spent most of the weekend, either at, or prepping for my uncle's 50th birthday party. So that was good and I ate my weight in various swine products and that was good.

So here we are at Monday again. Monday is ok by me; especially since been up since 5:30... wooooooooo! Less sleep= super giddy Quiana. I had to prep for a big prof. dev. meeting quite early this morning.

Tonight I'm going to see Art Spiegelman's lecture with Jim, so life is good. I'm sure the lecture will be awesome, presuming I can stay awake. Woooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Now, I have a work anecdote:

Background of anecdote: I knew I had to call a household in which there was only one English speaker. Everyone else speaks Korean... only.

Anecdote (transcript of phone call):
Ring ring.
Elderly Korean Gentleman: Annyong haseyo.
Me: Hello? May I speak with James please?
Pause.
EKG: Annyong haseyo.
Me: Is James there?
EKG: Annyong haseyo?
Pause.
Me: James? Please?
EKG: Annyong haseyo.
Me: James? sigh.
And then I hung up on him....

What was I supposed to do? I know that annyong haseyo means "hello," but if I had said annyong haseyo, he would have expected some Korean ability. An ability which I sorely lack.

No comments: