Monday, April 21, 2008

On noes, I've been memed!

Girl Friday K has invited me to join in her meme-fest. And I am nervous.

Meme:
What creators who are usually associated with a certain company (or, indeed, medium) would you like to see writing someone else’s title? For example, would you want to see JMS on Hellboy? Which DC character should Bendis have a crack at? Should George Pelecanos write Batman?

So here is the deal. I read comics. A lot. But unlike with "regular" books, I never actually examine who writes them. I do occasionally drop titles when the writers change- though I usually don't notice it until I am hurling the book across the room bellowing "This is BULL SHIT!"

I usually try to wait out bad art changes, but in the end, unless the art changes back to something I like the end result is also profanity and air born comics.

I do tend to read the same people's work over and over again. I'm not sure why I like them. They just seem to write stuff that I enjoy. Perhaps they write in genres that I enjoy, or maybe I really do prefer the work, without knowing why. I haven't put more thought in it than that. Anyway my top creators are:
Jeff Smith
The Luna brothers
Kirkman
Warren Ellis
Brian K. Vaughan
Steve Niles
Rick Remender

I am pretty embarrassed about my lack of comic thought and I really should put more effort into the comics I read. For someone who genuinely believes that comics are just as complex as "regular" books, I don't make much of a case for it.

But let's table my guilt-ridden comic analysis incompetence. Let's look at people who could write a good comic, who don't write comics at all.

1. Trenton Lee Stewart- I would love to see working on Runaways. His previous books show a mind built for complex mysteries written with lyrical but simplistic word choice. His characters that are fascinating and surprising and accessible to younger readers. A keen understanding of teens and children, of being unique and lost would definitely work for Runaways.

2. Cormac McCarthy- Fell or Elephantmen. I think his sparse style would mesh really well with Fell. I think that Elephantmen could also use his ability to create stand out characters full of introspection and hidden humanity. He also has a little bit of a quirk that would probably make him fairly good at these dark and twisted stories.

And that is all I've got for you guys, I could probably continue, but this could keep me busy a while. Thanks for inviting me to play ball!

2 comments:

Kristina said...

I squash your nervousness beneath my surprisingly wide feet. Usually I don't remember writers unless I think they're really good or really bad. And then I screw up their names.

You're totally on about Stewart doing Runaways.

I adore the Luna Brothers. Not Girls.

qtilla said...

There were definitely some elements of Girls that were frustrating. And yet I looked forward to it.