Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Idiocracy: The Ghost of Christmas Future.

Today I attended an educational forum about legislative changes in the area of education. Of course WASL was the big thing. So the quick skinny on this issue is that the state is now demanding that you be able to master English, math, and science at a 10th grade level to graduate. The WASL tests what the state believes you should know in 10th grade. It is not multiple choice.

Because parents are desperate for their kids to graduate they have strong-armed their politicians into giving students alternatives to the test and in fact allowing them to walk with a fake diploma, the Certificate of Academic Completion.

A few thoughts:
1. We are not helping kids by catering to their "learning styles." I don't want to be an asshole; but, a college professor or boss isn't going to say, "Oh, you aren't good at tests? Well don't worry about this mandatory exam or licensing test." Or, "Oh you aren't a visual learner, hop in my lap and I will just read these chapters to you." Even in society there are tests; can you imagine the Department of Licensing just saying, "Well Bobby, you can't drive an actual car with out hitting stuff, but I see that you are bomb at Mario Kart, so here you go."
2. I would like everyone's diploma to be equal. I would like all students and all schools held to the same standard, regardless of income and race. And I would like to think that everyone would like their children to actually perform at the 10th grade level. Giving a poor kid a meaningless diploma and a fat scholarship does not help him if he can't read.
3. Graduating unqualified students is dumbing down colleges. Just check out all the remedial math and English courses at state universities.
4. Graduating unqualified students is dumbing down the work force. These days to get a job interview you are required to take specialized tests. Why is this? Because a diploma, college or high school, does not mean that you know how to do anything.
5. If your kid can't perform at the 10th grade level, they aren't ready for college. At today's meeting one concerned mother was worried about what getting a Certificate of Showing up and Breathing would do to her son's chances of getting into college. All I could think was, "Lady, your son shouldn't be allowed to drive past a college without a tenth grade education."

Uhm... so there.

3 comments:

cymberleah said...

I am alive, therefore I deserve everything I want.

Give it to me. Now. Faster!

Wait? Effort? On my part? You expect too much, I can't believe you want me to work for something. I DESERVE WHAT I WANT BECAUSE I WANT IT, CAN'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT? I will yell and whine until you give it to me; does that count as work?

qtilla said...

Yes.

Also you deserve what you want because your are poor. Or a minority. Or sexy.

Tripping Daisy said...

10th grade level? Then why the hell are there 12 grades? I was totally robbed of 2 years. Also, a minimum of a 10th grade education to graduate may be another of a long list of reasons people annoy me so much...