Sunday, December 14, 2008

Two Thumbs Up

It is not every day when another driver rolls down their window and yells "Nice driving!" and doesn't really mean, "I hope you get that flesh eating bacteria and die, Asshole!", but today was my day.

Kim and I had been looking forward to a trip to the I-District all week and as the nearest freeway entrance is at the bottom of a very icy very steep hill I sensibly decided to take a more flat route to the highway.

Everything was hunkie dorrie till we came to a downward slope and the car in front of me thought, "Dur dur dur I'd better hit my breaks." Which sent him sliding towards the curb, where he ricocheted off and careened straight at me. Seeing this caused me to swerve and break, sliding elegantly into the opposing lane, then back at the curb, then all the way over and all the way back to the curb, finally gaining control as the car behind me slid with greater speed (stupid stupid stupid) toward our car until it smashed into the curb and got lodged there.

We gently pulled into the turn lane and as we waited to take the left an SUV pulled along side us and a smiling man leaned out his window, gave us the double thumbs up and yelled "Nice driving!" waved and drove away.

Thanks fellow drivers for the award for not being a total dumbass, it was an honor just to be nominated. I'd also like to give a shout out to Kim for staying absolutely silent through the whole episode, unlike most of my friends (looking at you, Steve) who would have squeeled like Swiss school girls.

No comments: