Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I'm just saying....

I've been pondering this Pope scandal. Pope-gate, if you will. Some thoughts:
1. Not the most brilliant thing to quote at the moment, however upon perusing the rest of the text that he quoted and under the context of his lecture- why reason (science) and religion need each other- it isn't quite as awful. But still, over all, not good to say "evil" and "Mohamed" together. Not very nice either.
2.When somebody slanders your religion as violent and you don't agree, burning down their churches is probably the least persuasive argument.
3. When apologising something better than the following would probably be better:
"I am deeply sorry for the reactions in some countries to a few passages of my address at the University of Regensburg, which were considered offensive to the sensibility of Muslims. These in fact were a quotation from a medieval text, which do not in any way express my personal thought." He went on to say: "If the offensive comments that were made offended you, quit being wussy. I can't help your "feelings." Besides, I just say things I don't mean all the time, hey, nice sweater, Steve."
4. Now some people are calling for a war against the "worshippers of the cross." I totally don't worship a cross. And while I do follow (rather slapdashedly) the teachings of Jesus, I would like to just put it out there again: I'm not with this guy.

No comments: