Wednesday, January 07, 2009

More with the OCD.

Sooooooooo below is my Spending Chart (Spending by Budget Area shown in Percentage of Total Spending) from 2008. Yes, I am obsessive, but it is nice to see everything all laid out.





















I track, you know, everything.

















I used to keep crazy charts to track dating, particular purchases like socks or underwear and other interesting things, but I have fallen out of the habit. Or at least thought I had.

At a National Geographic Lecture I learned that the average American consumes 3 burgers and 4 batches of fries a week. This, of course, prompted me to to to wonder who is eating all of my burgers and throwing the average off. This year I have decided to track my burger and fry consumption. However, I have now run into technicalities that are confusing for me:

1. What constitutes a "burger"? Does a chicken burger count? What is the difference between a chicken sandwich and a chicken burger? Ground meat? Hamburger bun? I had a grilled chicken breast on ciabatta with balsamic vinegar, basil, and mozzarella on Sunday, does that count?

I have reason to believe that the statistic referred to the traditional cheeseburger as the discussion had to do with the carbon footprint of the burger which explicitly took cattle consumption into account. But am I being disingenuous if I don't count a chicken sandwich?

2. Do I have to count the few fries I stole from Steve at lunch last Sunday? Does this depend on number of fries, or is it just straight up number of instances of fry consumption? What if I bake potato wedges? They're not technically fried... so?

Leave me a comment with your opinions on my quandaries.

No comments: